Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why I recommend taking Showers in the middle of the day

 
My sister once told me that she absolutely hates taking showers in the middle of her day. She has to have them at the beginning or the end. And who was I to argue with her? My entire childhood I showered at night. In middle school, I found the energy to wake up before class and take them, but slipped back to night in high school. However, now I'm college and I've been experimenting with my shower schedule. My conclusion is that mid-day is the best and I'll tell you why.

To most people, a shower is a free ticket to a getaway from the world. They can take the time to either really focus on something without distractions or their mind can go completely blank in that chamber of solitude. This is the most important factor in my theory.

Never take a shower at the beginning of the day:
  1. First of all, you don't want your day-long dirty self sleeping in your bed. Talk about gross. OK, maybe not necessarily, but think about all the germs you contract during the day even if you're doing nothing.
  2. You just woke up from a (hopefully) refreshing sleep. What has honestly happened in your day yet that makes you need to run away to the sanctuary of the shower? Nothing probably.
  3. Honestly? Why wake up even earlier than you already have to? I feel that more than 50% of the general public don't consider themselves as morning people. Shower later and save an hour of sleep.
If you absolutely must wake up and take a shower before you start your day, try and do something before hitting up that hot water. Go for a run, make yourself a quick breakfast, anything that will kick your body and mind into gear.

They help relieve stress, and no one can pass up an opportunity for that these days. What stress do you really have first thing in the morning? Don't waste a perfectly good shower.

Night time can be better, but it's not ideal.

Sure, you've already put up with a day full of drama and headaches, but that's exactly it. You're already done. Isn't the relief that you don't have to worry about anything else until tomorrow a great feeling? I think so. Therefore, you're only handicapping on the relaxation level of your shower.

Though you have the luxuries of taking as long as you want and waking up clean in the morning, that doesn't do it for the mental health aspects. It's proven that mental stress is more likely to have a permanent impact on you than physical stress. You're either half-assing the freedom that the end of the day brings and not benefiting from every aspect of a good shower or committing to one.

I would recommend relishing in the feeling of accomplishment since the end of the day is the only time you're going to have it. Hang out with your lover, go out on the town with some friends or just watch a  movie and snack away. You always wonder when you're going to find the time to do those things, so I'm letting you know that this is it.

So, instead of sitting there and having near heart attacks about getting whatever in on time or making sure you're doing things right during down time in the middle of the day, take a shower. Come home from work and immediately hop into the spray instead of panicking before dinner with the in-laws. Take that excessive gap between classes that you usually stress with your social Facebook life (oxymoron, I know) and turn it into a zen hour.

You've already done some work for the day, so hit the reset button. The rest of the stress can be doused by your night time activities. Use the shower for the middle when you can't be done quite yet but just need to hit the breaks. Like I said, most people's sanctuary is their shower. Take advantage of it.

Here are some things I suggest doing once under the waterfall of bliss:
  • Pick one problem and focus only on that. It'll be easier without all the cell phones, emails and people you're sick of hearing in your head even after you leave the office.
  • Get your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse to wash up with you. Getting absorbed in the one you love almost always helps people relax, especially when it's just the two of you.
  • Don't think about anything. This is my personal favorite. People think too much. They don't take time to just absorb their surroundings. Running water has always been used to calm people. Meditate.
  • Organize, organize, organize. Putting order to your thoughts and problems can take a huge weight off your shoulders. Close your eyes and make a mental to-do list. It really helps.
I'm sure you all have your own things that you do. Maybe the shower is the only time you have to wash your dog for all I know. I'm sure he'll also appreciate that loving in the middle of the day.

That's my opinion anyway. Just some food for thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment